Sunday, June 14, 2009

Claim Your Community!

I am so tired of people, especially in my generation, denying church! Religion has become a bad word. It is taboo to belong to the now evil structure of "organized religion." And I realize that some leaders of different Christian groups have abused their power, but how did that turn into an entire religion being bad? {As a note, I'm saying religion, but the only religion really organized into a hierarchy is Christianity. Other religions have some structure, but not to the extent Christianity does.}

Spiritual is the new catchphrase. If you believe in a higher power, you fit in the classification of spiritual. That is the LAZIEST copout I have ever heard! Being spiritual cannot be measured. Most people that I meet who only qualify themselves as spiritual do not have an ongoing relationship with God/Creator/Divine. They believe when questioned, but don't do anything with or about it. A person who has a personal relationship with God can be qualified as spiritual. A person who believes but does not apply it to their every day life is NOT spiritual, but lazy.

I personally believe religion is a powerful, amazing thing. Every Sunday, I get to be with a group of people who share mostly similar beliefs. And when there are disagreements over beliefs, we still love and accept each other. We are a community; a family. If I get stuck in the day-to-day, on Sunday I can reconnect with my spirituality at church. Group worship is such an amazing way to feel the love of God in our hearts, and you can't get that if you're just "spiritual."

To those who claim Spirituality as their religion, I ask you this: How does your relationship with the Divine manifest in your everyday life?

I belong to the Community of Christ, and I'm proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment