Monday, April 6, 2009

Self-Soothing Sucks!

I'm sorry, but I will not just sit there while my one-year old daughter cries in her crib indefinitely. I've tried multiple times, and she just won't lay down. And I'm not just going to ignore her, either. The longest I can handle it is 20 minutes, and I know that for her 20 minutes is an eternity! How does anyone do that? Ack! And after I decided to let her out tonight, she was so upset with me. She didn't want to see me, or let me hold her or comfort her. That was so hard! I've never been refused before.

Self-soothing is a crock! Right now, my daughter needs the comfort of knowing that she's not alone. Eventually, we'll work our way there. But I'm not going to force something on my daughter that she's not ready for. There's nothing wrong with respecting where my daughter is in her process. And you can't tell me that it's a step that will keep her from moving on in the future; forcing her to take a step she's not ready for will hurt her development, not help it. So everyone who says to let her cry, I say to you: Back off! She's my child, and we're in negotiations of what would be best for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment